Saturday, December 30, 2006

The goldsmith's daughter

- After Rumi


The goldsmith's daughter, dearly loved,
Did not love herself.

But one man failed to love her
And she, marveling and relieved, loved him.

She went to his door
And knocked. He was brewing tea
And she was jealous that it might burn his lips
Where she wished to sear herself.

He said,
"Who's at the door?"
She said,
"I can no longer see my face, please look for yourself"

He said,
"My door is no mirror, and it has no peep-hole"
She had seen enough of mirrors, wanted no more of peep-holes.
She said,
"I am a girl"

He said
"what do you want?"
She said
"To be whole"

"What do you bring?"
"My loss"

"What have you lost?"
"This that you see."

He said,
"Such claims require a witness"
She said
"This longing, these tears"

He said
"Credible witnesses"
She pointed out
"I am still crying"

He laughed
"Who puts the tears in your eyes?"
She said
"The same who draws them out again"

How to clean the eyes? Fill them up.
How to cure the self? Send me back to you.

4 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Blogger Standing under the Sky said...

This is great. It is after what writing of Rumi? This is really wonderful.

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger plymouth rock said...

Yes, it's amazing! Tell us about Rumi.

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger plymouth rock said...

oh shit! i linked to you but i didn't even ask first. i like your blog too much not to. if you want me to get rid of it, just say and i will.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Eva said...

Plymoth rock, I am touched and flattered.

Rumi was a Persian mystic living in the thirteenth century. He writes in simple metaphors about deeper fabrics of reality. I recommend the Penguin edition of selected poems, a difinitive introduction. Do an online search for his poem 'Whoever brought me here will have to take me home'
x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home